Where on earth do you start with SEO? Search Engine Optimisation is a huge topic and there are many ways to approach it. It’s hard to know which of the techniques will actually help you in the long run, and Google is constantly moving the goal posts and only gives away tidbits of it’s algorithm logic. Here are my suggestions on where to start with SEO:
1. Optimize Site Speed
The speed at which your website loads improves your user experience, but it also improves your search engine rankings. You can improve your site speed by employing the following techniques:
- Optimize Images – use the WP-plugin Smush (or similar) to optimise the images you upload
- Use a CDN – using a Content Delivery Network distributes static files across multiple servers globally, reducing the physical distance between the user and the server and thus decreasing latency
- Optimize Browser Caching – Cache static resources on the user’s device, allowing subsequent visits to load faster
- Optimize Server Performance – GZIP compression and choosing a reliable hosting provider will make a big difference
2. Identify Relevant Keywords
Developing a robust keyword strategy is fundamental to SEO success. Create a keyword research sheet and pinpoint top keywords for your product or service by:
- Analyzing competitors through “Organic Research” on SEMrush.
- Expanding your list using UberSuggest for more keyword variations.
3. Craft Unique SEO Landing Pages
Tailor landing pages to address specific use-cases within your business. For instance, a content agency might create dedicated pages for LinkedIn optimisation, Instagram content, and social media management.
4. Develop a Comprehensive Content Outline
Optimise your content strategy by focusing on:
- Target word count: Aim for 1.5x-2x the length of competitor content.
- Header structure: Make 2-3 structural changes from competitor content.
- Content inspiration: Explore platforms like Reddit and Quora for common, repeated questions.
5. Write Exceptional Content
While optimisation is crucial, the quality of your content is equally vital. Don’t try to game the algorithm, instead make quality content that will serve you well over the years. You can make sure your content stands out by:
- Understanding your audience and their needs
- Utilising writing AI tools like Grammarly and Hemingway
- Adding value with every sentence
- Copy writing is hard and time-consuming. Have a weekly / monthly / yearly plan of how much content to create and consider hiring a skilled writer to produce the content for you
6. Art of Link Building
In competitive niches, link-building strategies can make all the difference. Learn and implement:
- Guest posting.
- Creating “linkable assets.”
- Broken link building.
- Applying the skyscraper technique.
7. Link-Building via Communities
Engage with your target audience through online communities like Subreddits and Hacker News. Follow these steps:
- Identify where your audience congregates.
- Understand the type of content they appreciate.
- Create high-quality content and promote it within these groups.
8. Monitor and Improve Continuously
SEO is a marathon, not a sprint. A bit like gardening, you should be doing SEO updates little and often. Monitor your efforts by looking at:
- Analytics data.
- Internal links.
- Content quality.
By keeping an eye on your progress you can see what works and refine your SEO strategy where it makes a difference.